My technician Rhonda and Dr. Venu are absolutely exceptional in their bedside manner. They were thoroughly invested in ensuring I was comfortable, informed, and well taken care of. I’ve had the same family doctor for 26 years and I felt just as comfortable with Dr. Venu and Rhonda today as I do with my own family physician.
Are you suffering from severe, long-lasting pain?
Our Pain Management Service is designed to help manage your chronic pain.
Some of our services may provide relief from pain for an unspecified amount of time. Consult with your doctor to find out if this form of treatment is right for you.
Understanding chronic pain
Any pain lasting more than 12 weeks can be considered chronic pain. It differs from acute pain, which is a normal sensation alerting us that something is wrong. Chronic pain can arise from an initial injury, but it can also have no apparent cause. It can limit a person’s movements and reduce flexibility, strength and stamina which can lead to difficulty in carrying out essential and enjoyable activities. The goal with treatment is to reduce pain and restore function.
Pain Management Options
- Platelet-rich Plasma (PRP)
- Cervical, thoracic and lumbar spinal facet injections
- Hip injections
- Shoulder injections
- Miscellaneous joint injections
- Sacroiliac injections
- Lumbar medial branch blocks
- Lumbar transforaminal and translaminar
- Epidural blocks
- Vertebral augmentation consultations
Manage Chronic Pain With PRP
Reduce Pain And Restore Function
Treatment For Chronic Knee Arthritis And Specific Tendinous Injuries Such As Epicondylitis
Stimulates The Body’s Normal Healing Process
What is Platelet-rich Plasma (PRP)?
Platelet-rich Plasma (PRP) is a Pain Management procedure that stimulates the body’s normal healing process by using a patient’s own blood. The blood is drawn and spun in a centrifuge to separate the blood cells from the platelets. The platelets are injected back into the patient at the site of injury or pain, which triggers a localized regeneration process, leading to a decrease in pain.
Who needs Platelet-rich Plasma?
There are multiple indications for PRP treatment in the setting of tendon/ligament injury and joint pain. Current evidence suggests that PRP is of benefit in treating patients with chronic knee arthritis and specific tendinous injuries such as epicondylitis (golfer’s or tennis elbow). PRP may provide longer relief from joint pain than conventional corticosteroid injections.
Choosing CAMIS for PRP
Platelet-rich Plasma is not currently covered by Alberta health care. As a private service, we want to make sure you’re getting the best value for your money, which is why our PRP therapy is done under image guidance.
Image guidance means that we can be confident that when we inject the PRP into the affected area, we’re getting it in the right spot every time.
Our staff have had dedicated, specific PRP therapy training so they can adequately care for you and your needs.
Costs and other FAQs
PRP therapy of joints starts at $450.00
PRP therapy of soft tissue starts at $700.00
If you have other PRP questions or concerns, please email:
Lindsey Painchaud, Manager, PRP, CAMIS [email protected]
Preparing For Your Appointment
- For all EPIDURAL injections, blood thinners (Warfarin, Coumadin, Plavix, Aspirin, Eliquis etc.) must be discontinued for 5 days prior to your injection, but only after your physician has provided written approval, post consultation.
- Antibiotic cycles must have been completed for 10 days prior to pain management injections.
- Pain management injections should be performed at least 48 hours post vaccination or flu shot, or if possible postpone the vaccination/flu shot to the day after.
- Pain medications with the exception of narcotics, should be discontinued at midnight, the evening prior to your injection.
- Having a snack before your appointment is encouraged.
- Arrive 30 minutes before your appointment time.
- You should be accompanied by a driver, but if this is not possible, you will be asked to remain in the department for 15-30 minutes post injection.
- Additional instructions will be given at time of booking.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING YOUR EXAM
- When you arrive at CAMIS, you will check in at reception.
- One of our pain management technologists will review your history and complete a consent form for you to sign.
- You will be taken into the exam room and positioned on a diagnostic bed.
- The radiologist will be called into the room and will review relevant imaging and documentation.
- The radiologist will perform the injection with image guidance, injecting a small amount of either steroid or dextrose and anaesthetic.
- Once the procedure is complete you may be asked to wait for 15-30 minutes.
- Instructions will be given at time of booking.
AFTER YOUR EXAM
- Depending on the procedure, you will receive a Pain Diary to fill out. This exercise helps the referring physician assess the success of the procedure.
- CAMIS does not provide any follow up evaluation.
- You should contact your referring physician to discuss next steps with respect to the plan of management and to discuss possible repeat injections if required./li>
I was scheduled for an MRI and everything went smoothly and quickly! I was called in not even 5 minutes after my appointment time! The technician in the MRI room was really nice and friendly. Would not hesitate to book again and do the drive from Calgary.
I use CAMIS in Red Deer as a medical professional and as a patient. Yesterday I used it as a patient to have a pain management procedure with Dr. Mann. The fluoroscopy technicians were very friendly and professional and made the whole process quick and efficient. Dr. Mann was funny and took great pride in keeping everything sterile and as pain free as possible. Overall as a patient and medical professional I give CAMIS a big thumbs up.
I cannot say enough good things about all the staff and doctors I interacted with the last two days. What was a very scary and stressful time was made enjoyable, easy, understandable and friendly.
I had a Barbotage treatment at the new CAMIS Notre Dame location. I have to say the staff there are excellent. The one in the treatment room with me was so kind, considerate and compassionate). I just want to compliment the lovely lady who assisted the Doctor who was also exceptionally good at trying not to cause me any more pain. Great job done by both of them.
Impressed with my mammogram appointment today, the lineup went quickly and was efficiently managed. Pam was wonderful, these tests aren’t fun but she was kind, gentle, and has an excellent personality. The ladies at the front desk were also friendly and very knowledgeable and answered all my questions . Thank you for a great experience.
We travel 1.5 hours for prenatal ultrasounds to come here instead of the 30mins to the place closest to us due to great experiences with the ultrasound techs in Red Deer, they have all been lovely!